[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Crackle Neon"

>    Does anyone have much experience in "crackle" neon?  Does anyone know a way
> to guarantee a good "crackle"? (We had some problems getting a consistant
> crackle before.) How much more do you charge for crackle glass (since you need
> to put the glass inside)?

Chris, I've experimented with crackle tubes before, though I wouldn't
call myself an "expert" on them :)

I used lead glass, 18mm.  I bought glass beads in a plastic tube from a
cheesy decorations store.  They had many types, but I choose ones that
were about 2mm in diameter.  They were solid balls, not "beads" in the
traditional sense with a hole thru the middle.  Don't see why you
couldn't use them though.

My first attempts at bombing were unsatisfactory.  As you said, the short
arc cracked the tube.  The beads also contaminated the unit. Eventually,
I cleaned the beads in distilled water with a teaspoon of glass "etching
paste" (from the same cheesy store, Michael's).  I ran a long tubulation
into a ceramic kiln to bake for nearly 2 hrs at around 800F.  This was
with it hooked to the pumps. After that I let it cool some, and briefly
zaped the trodes to redness, then filled and tipped off.

This one has been good, and it's still going strong nearly 2 yrs. later.
I found that around 40-60 torr is required.  If you use much less, the
crackle effect will be much slower.

There may be a simpler way, but this is the only way I've tried it with
success.

I saw a brochure put out by Larry Albright several years ago, and he
listed crackle tubes priced "by the inch."  Don't remember how much, but
I seem to remember 25 bucks or so, with a minimum of 10 (don't quote me
on this though).

>     We're kind of hoping we DON'T get the job because of the problems involved
> with getting a good crackle and the extra time involved in making it, but I
> figured we could always use some information on the subject even if we don't
> get the job.

I bid on a job back when I was experimenting with crackle.  It was in
Dallas, and they have laws against flashing signs.  A resturant wanted a
"crackling tube" to depict charcoal grill - hoping to circumvent the law.
I bid it supper high, and consequently did not get the job.

Good luck!  Bid high!

    -John Anderson