[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: "Crackle Neon"

Welll, it's been about 6 years since I made some (and didn't make a whole
lot, mind you) but I recall that:

        - Lead glass was all we used

        - glass CULLET works best as the filler glass -- this is what you
get when you take molten glass out of a furnace and pour it into a bucket of
water. Y'all have a glass furnace, right? :^)

        - bombarding was difficult but not impossible. I believe we did it
numerous times at low amps (150 mA?), rolling the tube around between cycles
-- this way the arc more-or-less spread around the whole tube. At that time
I used heavy-wall plastic tubing to connect the tubulation to the manifold,
fascilitating the rolling. Obviously an oven is the "real" way to do these...

        - In use a 10mA transformer works best; Actown now sells a 5,000
volt core-&-coil. Overheating will be pretty severe otherwise.

        - For a good time also try a neon + mercury mix and  the following
combos:
                     1) marbles -- roll 'em through and where the space is
constricted the light turns red.
                      2) longish sections of tubulation (3-4"), w/ spacers
to create "open" areas,  forming a sort of internal "gatling gun" effect
                      3) NOT sparklers...

-Ted Pirsig