[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mercury amounts & repairs

Tom,

  I've had problems with bosses (and in some cases fellow workers) placing me in
dangerous situations, not only with mercury but with asbestos.  I've learned that
nothing is worth the problems these things can cause and if I had it to do again would
not expose myself to these hazards.  The thing is, do you need that job that much?
That's the underlying question.

Many bosses already dislike glassblowers and are not prepared to listen to objections
to unsafe practices.  At least the old school guys seem this way.  I've had my health
concerns completely sneered at.  The only way to combat this and keep your job is to
learn as much as you can about it and convince the boss that there is medical reason
for you NOT to do mercury repairs...at this point if I were you I'd refuse flat out,
but it's not for me to say what you should do.

Perhaps you can make a compromise with him involving remaking hg units on a piecework
basis rather than hourly, this would at least show the guy that you are serious about
the risks and are not just "malingering" about this issue.  You could offer to do this
on a trial basis, for some percentage of what a trade price on the unit would be, for
example.  This would guarantee that he could get the units remade without at least
losing money, except for the glass involved.  You keep the job, the boss's goodwill and
your health.

Good luck, this is a very difficult issue to deal with.  Hope I've helped...

Bettina