[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mercury amounts & repairs

Thom, if others don't post resources for health concerns, I will search for
them later (I swear the're around here somewhere).  Perhaps he would be
swayed by the possibility of a actually getting mercury poisening and the
following LAWSUIT.  I have met people who have.
As for how much Hg to put in a tube my vote goes:
indoors: (except for the smallest of tubes) enough so that the Hg just wets
the inside dia. of the 5mm tubulation glass
outdoors: (inSC) twice that.  Cold climates: add third drop

A few points to remember: Hg in itself doesn't have much to do directly with
staining, it's only when it combines with crap (aka air) in the tube that
there is a problem.  Even the smallest amount of liquid Hg will still make a
lot of Hg vapor so whatever staining problen you're going to have, I don't
think the amount of liquid hg you put in changes that much.  Next is the
practical problem: I use ceramic collared electrodes whenever possible, and
if you don't put a reasonable size ball of Hg in it can be very difficult to
get it past the ceramic.
Morgan