[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: water-based blockout paints

Conventional FMS "Stayzon" is horrible, it flakes off after only a few years
and spoils the look of neon signs in a very short while. Not only that, but
you may have someone in your shop like my partner whose ankles would swell up
to alarming size any time she inhaled the solvents in it, not a very
reassuring sign of the unhealthy side of neon manufacturing over long term.
I found a good blockout that is not only practically permanent in even the
hottest electrode and field exposure but very good coverage for a white
blockout, something that practically no other white blockout can do.
It is made by Triangle Coatings in San Leandro, California, and is called
D303 Danacolor, and is actually much cheaper than Stayzon, about $35/gal plus
shipping.
As with any water based blockout, you must remember to let the blockout dry
completely before energizing it, if sections that are painted are looped back
to one another, otherwise the paint will short out at the re-contact point.
The paint is somewhat gel-like and is usually dipped when we apply it.
If you are tired of going back to your artistic window signs 9 months later
and walking up and seeing a forest of fallen blockout flakes, this can solve
your problem for a long time.
Regards,
Jeff Golin