[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Can't I just give the stuff away?!?!?

Cessna6T@aol.com wrote:

> Not that this is going to shock many of you, but......
> a good friend asked me to talk to her boss about some neon for his Italian
> restaurant. I drove across town to meet with him, did some designs/sketches,
> and worked up a price. After a couple of weeks, he called to say he was
> having heating problems, and would have to wait a few weeks before ordering
> anything.
>
> He did call back about ten days ago, although he had changed his mind about
> what he wanted. He needed to meet with me immediately, as he needed to get a
> price and have the neon up within a few days. Again, I drove across town to
> discuss his needs. This time, he wants 10 red letters -- 8", and 8 green
> letters -- 10", all uppercase vertical block style, to be installed on the
> roof. The installation will involve working on a pitched roof, mounting the
> neon on a brick chimney.
>
> I give the guy a quote of $800, installed w/transformers, and warrantied for
> a year. He gets this pained expression, and says, "I got a quote from
> somebody else for $300", to which I replied "Please tell me who it is,
> because I would like to buy some myself. The materials would cost at least
> that."
>
> To make a long story slightly less long, we finally arrived at a price of
> $450, with him using his own transformers (28 yr old Franceformers), and
> doing the installation himself. I would supply the glass, supports,
> transformer can, GTO, caps, etc. He says he'll think about it.
>
> Several days later, he called to say we had a deal. He just needed to see a
> full size pattern to see exactly what the neon will look like. I told him
> this was no problem...just call me with the exact measurements on the
> chimney, and I'll deliver the pattern and pick up a deposit. I promised the
> neon within 3-4 days.
>
> The next morning, before working hours, he left a message for me, saying that
> he had gotten a price from someone else that was a couple of dollars cheaper,
> and NO DEPOSIT (he put emphasis on the "no deposit" part) and thanks, anyway.
>
> I did find out who quoted the $300 price, and I think it may have been
> legitimate. This guy does absolutely horrible work (he's a real nice guy,
> though -- very personable) and is known for selling cheap.
>
> I got another call from a video game parlor (video poker, pull tab, call it
> what you will). I drive forty minutes to measure and quote the guy, and he
> says the same sign company referenced above quoted him $6.50/foot for outside
> border tubing! Installed! I urged him to be sure he was comparing apples to
> apples. "Just make sure you see some of his work, before you order" I said. I
> think I convinced him to at least check around, and I'm reasonably sure he'll
> call me back, as several people he knew had recommended me..
>
> There's really no point to all my rambling. I just needed to vent. Does this
> kind of thing happen to the rest of you?

> [...]

More often than not Ronnie.  The trouble that I have is the long time big
sign company that has 8 employees and one tubebender undercuts the rest of
the market.  He has to pay the bender if he bends all day or sits on his
tachus.
I can't figure it out.  It cost him double to produce the product but charges
 half or what you or I would charge.
Life goes on I guess.
Howie