[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Can't I just give the stuff away?!?!?

Not that this is going to shock many of you, but......
a good friend asked me to talk to her boss about some neon for his Italian
restaurant. I drove across town to meet with him, did some designs/sketches,
and worked up a price. After a couple of weeks, he called to say he was
having heating problems, and would have to wait a few weeks before ordering
anything.

He did call back about ten days ago, although he had changed his mind about
what he wanted. He needed to meet with me immediately, as he needed to get a
price and have the neon up within a few days. Again, I drove across town to
discuss his needs. This time, he wants 10 red letters -- 8", and 8 green
letters -- 10", all uppercase vertical block style, to be installed on the
roof. The installation will involve working on a pitched roof, mounting the
neon on a brick chimney.

I give the guy a quote of $800, installed w/transformers, and warrantied for
a year. He gets this pained expression, and says, "I got a quote from
somebody else for $300", to which I replied "Please tell me who it is,
because I would like to buy some myself. The materials would cost at least
that."

To make a long story slightly less long, we finally arrived at a price of
$450, with him using his own transformers (28 yr old Franceformers), and
doing the installation himself. I would supply the glass, supports,
transformer can, GTO, caps, etc. He says he'll think about it.

Several days later, he called to say we had a deal. He just needed to see a
full size pattern to see exactly what the neon will look like. I told him
this was no problem...just call me with the exact measurements on the
chimney, and I'll deliver the pattern and pick up a deposit. I promised the
neon within 3-4 days.

The next morning, before working hours, he left a message for me, saying that
he had gotten a price from someone else that was a couple of dollars cheaper,
and NO DEPOSIT (he put emphasis on the "no deposit" part) and thanks, anyway.

I did find out who quoted the $300 price, and I think it may have been
legitimate. This guy does absolutely horrible work (he's a real nice guy,
though -- very personable) and is known for selling cheap.

I got another call from a video game parlor (video poker, pull tab, call it
what you will). I drive forty minutes to measure and quote the guy, and he
says the same sign company referenced above quoted him $6.50/foot for outside
border tubing! Installed! I urged him to be sure he was comparing apples to
apples. "Just make sure you see some of his work, before you order" I said. I
think I convinced him to at least check around, and I'm reasonably sure he'll
call me back, as several people he knew had recommended me..

There's really no point to all my rambling. I just needed to vent. Does this
kind of thing happen to the rest of you?

Ronnie (and I'm tired of driving across town!) Downs
Cessna6T@aol.com