[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: plex edge smoothing

At 06:13 AM 1/11/96 -1000, you wrote:
> >Even if cracking does not
>>occur, flame-polishing greatly accelerates crazing.
>
>Seconded.
>
>>My solution now is to cut the plex with a circular saw & plastic blade.  I
>>then take Weld-on #6 cement and rub the edges with my finger to polish.
>>Works pretty well.
>
>Hmm, I'll have to try that. Meanwhile I use a technique from a Rohm & Haas
>manual, which is just scraping the rough edge with a flat, hard blade -- in
>my case an old Sawzall blade with back edge ground flat and square. I hold
>the plex vertical between my knees and draw the blade towards me, in a
>planing-type motion. The result is not a "mirror" edge but any saw blade
>marks are gone. Perhaps this with cement afterwards....Also, a couple years
>ago I bought a block of "acrylic polishing compound", which has sat unused
>on my shelf -- anyone have ideas on proper use of this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>-Ted Pirsig

Here's my two cents worth....there is a product out there that is used
in the aircraft maintenance industry that is a plexiglass polishing
compound and scratch remover I think it fills the scratches in...?)
Sorry I don't know the name of the stuff....if you live in a big
city try aircraft supply houses...../\/\ike