[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

plain vanilla GTO; even more on midpoint grounding

> Also using the best silicone for secondary to neon leads in time will save
>you money on service calls. If you're real cheap, use the black GTO fro the
>end runs back to the ground on the transformer

>The use of silicone is not only recommended but should be the ONLY
>type allowed for this use

Hi Morgan (and welcome!),
Hi Tom,

Wellllll,

To throw on little more fuel on the fire:

1) I only use plain black cheapo "standard" grade GTO, unless it's exposed
and I want a different look (white or clear)

2) I've had exactly one piece of it burn up in 6 years of running my own
business.

Of course, I've replaced plenty of it on "bad" (or shall I say "typical")
sign installations; for me the keeping-short of transformer runs (even
though usually within metal conduit) and keeping-small of transformer size
are key...something we went 'round and 'round about early-on in the list; I
assume the archives have these posts...

-Ted

ps
One further advantage of midpoint grounding (shall we just call it "MPG" and
save our fingers?) that I haven't seen mentioned is that IF a tube goes out
(durn kids with rocks):
        -In a "normal" situation you've got two hot leads looking for
alternate paths-- a good time to start burning GTO or cracking electrode glass;
        -With an MPG install there's only one such "unhappy" lead and half
as much neon unlit.

pps
>...good bathroom reading. (Just kidding)
Huh? Is there anywhere else to read?