[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Polariscope

Kenny writes:
>John, I think you get the award for the first sucessful ascii drawing of 1996!

I second that! Nice job!!

John writes:
>I have about a 6" space between the two sheets, which are sandwiched
>between glass for durability.  If the two polarizing sheets are
>perpendicular, then they cancel out the light from below.  Strain in glass
>defracts this light, showing up as bright-white streaks & patterns.

I've made a polariscope pretty much like what John described.
The project was for a kinetic sculpture on strain in glass for
some school kids. I wanted a little more flexibiltiy on viewing
the various colors, so I sandwiched the top piece of polorizing
sheet (marked "camera store" on John's drawing) between two pieces
of plate glass in a 4"x6" picture frame. Then I screwed a wooden
handle from an old wood carving tool on the bottom part of the frame
to hold the piece while viewing the glass.
          _________________________
           |                       |
           |                       |
           |                       |