[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: layout questions

>>     Any suggestions on how to do the Transbestos covering for the bench
>>     surface?  The surface is a full 4 x 8, 3/4 plywood with 5/8 drywall on
>>     top.  I have my nice, expensive roll of Transbestos, and of course at
>>     39" wide it doesn't exactly match the bench dimensions....

>I personally don't use transbestos at all.  My table is 4x10 5/8"
>sheetrock, and I use a 12x15 (or so) brass screen for everything.  I also
>have a tiny 2x2 piece of screen I occasionally use for a single bend when
>I really need to see the pattern.

        Since we're talking about bending bench construction, does
anybody here use something like Tom Cage discussed in a 12/94 Sign
Business article (on the web at http://www.signweb.com/buy-guides/tom11.html,
if you haven't seen it)?  This uses a sheet of tempered glass as the
primary bending surface.  A plain paper pattern goes under the glass,
but he still uses screen on top of the glass to reduce the chance of
serious thermal shock that would occur when laying hot glass directly on the
sheet of tempered glass.  I find this an interesting suggestion, and
it will certainly keep the patterns lasting a long time.  I wonder about
the issue of off-pattern bending mistakes due to parallax, but maybe
that wouldn't be bad enough to notice.

        Thoughts?

                       Sight & Sound Software, Inc.
 Multimedia Software & WWW development for Business and Consumer Applications
                      http://www.sight-n-sound.com/

                     Al Hooton, al@sight-n-sound.com
           voice: 503.531.2855, x6237        fax: 503.531.2856