[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ovens.

Al Hooton wrote:

>         Well, after a lot of thought I've pretty much decided to go with
> oven pumping everything in my little personal shop as opposed to putting
> in a bombarder (at least at first).  My reasoning:
>
> - I know I want to spend a lot of time experimenting with single-ended
>   units, units that have widely varying tube diameters welded together,
>   small diameter work, etc., that will require an oven anyway (to be
>   processed well, or at all in some cases).
>
> - Easier to install (I don't need a new 220 circuit capable of 60-100
>   amps of service).
>
> - Since I'm not trying to support a high-throughput business I don't
>   need the time efficiency offered by bombarding versus oven processing.
>
> - I can always put in a bombarder later if I need one.
>
>         I would really appreciate any comments from the experienced
> folks on the pluses and minuses of this kind of a decision.

Al, I have always wanted to build an oven type pumping system.  I feel that one of the plusses is
that with the right kind of timing in terms of procedure you could truly anneal your glass as a
part of the process.  Always a good thing.

I think that if you can only do one financially then a regular high voltage bombarder is probably
the way to go because in that situation you probably need to make lots of neon fast, but if you
are not under the gun and can afford to take your time about it the benefits not only to the
glass but to your health would be manifold.  ; )

BB