[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Ovens.

        Well, after a lot of thought I've pretty much decided to go with
oven pumping everything in my little personal shop as opposed to putting
in a bombarder (at least at first).  My reasoning:

- I know I want to spend a lot of time experimenting with single-ended
  units, units that have widely varying tube diameters welded together,
  small diameter work, etc., that will require an oven anyway (to be
  processed well, or at all in some cases).

- Easier to install (I don't need a new 220 circuit capable of 60-100
  amps of service).

- Since I'm not trying to support a high-throughput business I don't
  need the time efficiency offered by bombarding versus oven processing.

- I can always put in a bombarder later if I need one.

        I would really appreciate any comments from the experienced
folks on the pluses and minuses of this kind of a decision.

        ALSO: has anybody on the list built their own oven?  I've been
thinking about it, and it seems it should be easier than building something
like a ceramic kiln because I don't really see the need for brick in an
oven being used for oven pumping.  Heavy sheet metal walls with some
kind of high-temp insulating blanket on the inside should do it, yes?
Any recommendations on what kind of blanket to use, what kind of elements
to use, where to get this stuff, etc.?

        Hopefully we can have a discussion here on building our own
ovens for this purpose that will help out several people.  Thanks!

| My aunt said spaceship guard was a good career         | Al Hooton          |
| for a young Vogon -- you know, the uniform, the        |                    |
| low-slung stun ray holster, the mindless tedium...     | al@teleport.com    |
|                                                        | 503.591.7324 voice |
|     "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", Douglas Adams  | 503.591.7955 fax   |