[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: mercury

> I don't
> have my pump exhausting to the outside.  I do however have two window
> fans running most of the time when I bombard and bend.  I think I will
> have to close the window opening soon as the temp is slowing dropping
> here in the northeast.  All for now and thanks again.
> Howie Cohen  Utica, NY

I'd like to add one point about vac-pump exhaust.  It is known that Hg
will volatilize at room temp. (and atmospheric pressures).  With Hg in
the tubulation trap, you are hopefully avoiding heating it - but it is
still at reduced pressures.  Reason says that it will evaporate more
quickly while under vacuum.  Think of all the mercury tubes you pump,
over and over day after day.  There's quite a bit that must enter the
mechanical pump in 6 months.

Again, I don't have any hard info to back up this speculation.  For all I
know, the Hg may condense in the mechanical pump and remain protected by
a coating of oil.  But I'm willing to bet the exhaust of a pump is not
good, as is also used pump oil.

I have not always had my pump vented to the outside, and I'm certainly
not trying to create paranoia about Hg.  But if it's possible to vent
your pump outseide, I would do it.  My shop has a 10" brick wall.  I took
a 3/8" masonary bit and drilled a hole next to the pump, ran a 1/4"
copper tube thru and caulked.

      -John Anderson