[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Mercury clean up

>>>mercury droplets coating the walls and benches from evaporated mercury.<<
>
>I've never heard of anything like this.  Anything.  I've seen some of
>the worse shops you could imagine, and never seen anything remotely like
>this.  I think someone is getting a little feverish in the imagination
>department.
>
>Bettina

There was a story here in Phoenix a couple of months back. Apparently some
teenagers "found", or stole, a great deal of mercury (I seem to remember >20
lbs). The kids had a great time playing with it, pouring it on the floor and
throwing it at the walls of their appartment. Some of it flowed(!) out the
front door and off the balcony, contaminating the grounds. The teens ended up
in the hospital suffering from toxic reactions to ingested and inhaled
mercury. The Haz-Mat team with the fire dept. evacuated the building and
cleaned up the mess. The papers didn't go into how they did that. It would be
interesting to know how the Haz-Mat folks deal with this level of
contamination.

Sam
Neon Dreams