[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Hydrogen Outgassing

Dear Dirk:
Oh, I am beginning to see what you mean, I think. You mean that in the neon
glass melt, the surrounding environment is a flame? And the oxygen and
hydrogen are totally dissociated in a flame? That's where the hydrogen gas is
coming from? If so, then I see it, and thank you. What would happen if the
melt environment were resistively heated instead? Would that make glass
better for outgassing? SO, does that mean  when I flame the tubes with my
torch, or for that matter when we do bending, does that infiltrate hydrogen
and oxygen gases into the pores of the glass?  (pores? how big?) Could THIS
latter perhaps the really important process for introducing these gases into
the glass, rather than the original melt?
Signed, Curious Kat.
Jeff Golin