[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New user

> I just subscribed to your mailing list and I guess I am a little
> confused.  As I understand from you welcome message, once I subscribe I
> will receive mail from others who have posted items to the list.  Am I
> right?
>
> Also, how do you know which items to mail to me and how can I read
> items that have already been posted?  Is it O.K. to post an item that
> has a geographical reference?  For example:
>
> I am just learning and would like to know where I can find some junk
> neon signs in the Denver area.  My logic to to find some signs to see
> what techniques other benders may have used in bending to a particular
> housing (how deep as an example) and how the tubes are fastened to the
> sign.

Jim,

A mailing list is basically an automatic mulitiple-remailer.  Everyone
posts to the same address (neon-l@netcom.com) and everyone subscribed
gets a copy of each post.

There is no way to read past posts, but I am archiving most stuff, and
will place it on an ftp site here as soon as there is volume to warrant.
There have been many good threads on setting up shops, safety, bombarding,
etc. etc.  I'll post instructions for accessing files when that happens.

As to you ideas on learning neon.  Most neon folks get asked that often,
and I'm sure you'll get lots of answers - all of them correct.  Here my
.02:

My personal recommedation for learning neon is to buy a ribbon burner,
crossfire, blower, clear glass tubing, and a book or video and just start
practicing.  Lots of practicing.  Begin with simple bends, then separate
letters, then complete words.  Make "fake" electrodes with short pieces of
tubing and practice sealing them on as well.

When you are good enough to at least stick presentable stuff together, go
work part-time at a neon shop, preferably one with other benders.  Such
jobs are not hard to find, as most shops are always looking for a bender.
They'll give you the simple stuff at first, but the experience will do
much to improve your production. Learning neon is practice practice and
more practice.  It usually takes an average person a couple of years
(working full time) before their speed and quality are at a commercial
level.  The great thing is, you keep getting better and better, (and
faster and faster).

That's how I learned.  I was a scientific glassblower before trying neon,
but little of those skills tranfered over to the new carreer.  I practiced
on my own set of fires for about a year in my spare time, then worked for
several neon shops.  I think it's important to work somewhere if you plan
on making a living at neon.  The're many tricks that only this experience
will teach you.  One of the most important things I learned working
elsewhere is how to be efficient.  It's hard to describe to someone how to
work on 8 letters at once, but easy once you see others using a methodical
system.  At a shop I worked at in Dallas, there were many benders that
consistently took home 1200 or more weekly (paid by the foot).  Their
entire overhead was a small tackle-box of tools. Now I say this just as an
example.  Most of us here have other goals than

There are also schools.  Usually ranging from 3000 to 8000 (or more) for a
6-12 wk course.  I don't really have an opinion on this option, others
here may and could elaborate.

      -John Anderson