[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bombarding darkening

Tom,

  I'm in the "soupy hot" category.  But with Voltarc I had to be careful because
of the darkening phenomenon.  What I'm talking about here is just a "flick" back
though the fire several times during the course of the bend, which keeps the temp
up, as opposed to heating sufficiently before bending begins to keep it plastic
long enough.

  Just as a sidebar to this discussion, for a strong bend in standard glass, your
glass should continue to move for quite a long time after the bend is done.  I
can't describe how long, for while I've showed this to people countless times,
I've never actually timed it.  If your glass seizes up during the bend or directly
after, you are looking at problems down the line.  This is also a good arguement
for several layers of non-bestos on the table for its refractory properties.  The
wood of the table directly under the paper can chill the glass.  I believe that
the thick asbestos paper we used to use helped prevent this chilling.  Although
there is a screen between the glass and the table, this is little protection
either way, especially if you only use one layer.  Just look at how burnt paper
patterns get with only one layer of screen.  If you are transmitting that much
heat downwards, there isn't much barrier there.  Double screening helps also.

  As to how charred to get the paper while bombarding, for most standard glasses,
when the paper turns visibly brown you can then start the final bombardment of the
electrodes.  You need to experiment with how hot you can get different glass,
usually the hotter the better except for cases like this.  But if you've charred
the paper at all with normal glasses you should be ok.  Try using EGL glass and
see if you encounter the same problem.  Also, you remark that the powder only
turns during bombardment...while that is the case it is very likely at least
partially caused by overheating during bending.

  Electrodes:  I had a little exhibit on the wall of my shop.  It had several
different electrodes removed from the worst repairs to come into my shop.  The
best ones were a set of electrodes from one unit that came in with horrible
mercury stains, having been repaired several times, it was a real disaster.
Before remaking it I removed the electrodes and started the exhibit...one
electrode was a Voltarc double shell cone one that was barely there, and the other
was an EGL double shell (little capsule shapes) one that was completely intact.
That was a situation that I've seen time and time again, I still can't figure out
why anyone uses those other ones.  Unless they like doing repairs.   It's been
several years so I can't speak to the quality of something I haven't even seen in
that length of time, but I hope they are still of good quality.

Bettina