[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Bombarding Flashback

On Sat, 13 Jan 1996, jim marshall wrote:

> Has anyone experienced a situation where, at the start of the
> bombarding process, the bombarding current passed from one of the
> unit’s electrodes down through the main stopcock and into the vacuum
> pump.  This may be a common occurrence, but I haven’t see it before.
> However, I have only been doing this for about 6 months, so my
> experience is very limited.
>
> The only reason I could see why this might happen is because I may have
> applied the bombing current before the far end of the unit had been
> evacuated to the point that it provided a low resistance path.  Has
> anyone else had this experience, and more importantly, how can I
> prevent it from reoccurring? Making the connection to the manifold at
> he middle of the unit may prevent this, but would exclude the use of
> tubulated electrodes.
>
> Jim Marshall (novice)

I think most of us pump with the stopcock closed.  I always do, however
the man who taught me used an open stop method.  I did it his way for a
long time.  My solution to flashback was to open the ground to the vacuum
pump.
True Story

PS  Can anyone guess the other word that has "uu" in it? (uucode/decode does
not count)
Jacob