[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: bombarding darkening

Ted-

>Maybe also look at the way you're heating the glass in the torches, some
phosphors react easily to overheating. I have a local competitor who loves to
really get the glass soupy-hot, and his stuff ALL has "prestained" bends on
his blue and white tubes.<

Could you tell me more about how to avoid overheating.  I seem to heat the
glass the least amount I can to make a good bend...  I wouldn't say I get the
glass soupy-hot.  My bends also don't appear "pre" stained.  It doesn't show
until during the bombing...?  It seems to start showing up when glass temp
hits 100C.

Bettina-

>With Voltarc, I had to institute a technique of heating several times during
the bend to maintain the sort of plasticity I needed without overheating the
powder. <

Could you also say more about this technique...?

>it's my opinion that gauges vary and can be misleading<

Yes, I almost always use paper and a temp gauge.  I, too, find inconsistency
between the gauge and the paper.  Even after testing my gauge against other
gauges.  Using both seems to be the best way to get a "feel" for the glass
temp.  I do, though, have some confusion as to how "charred" the paper is
supposed to get to be up to proper temp.

>Give EGL double shell electrodes a try also<

I'm not familiar w/ these.  I've seen many of the Voltarc double-shell
(mostly when the shells have fallen apart and the unit comes in for repair -
I tend to not use them), but not EGL.

Thanks much - all info is helpful!
Tom