[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Latex-based block out

> "sir, I have no idea
>what you've talking about.  We do have block-out paint.  It's called
>Stazon, and it comes in black and gray."  Not _one_ offered to order it
>for me.  My regular supplier, when really pressed, said:  "well, I _guess_
>we could call Transco, but we don't order from them very often, and
>they'll be some extra charges for a special order.
>
>If anyone knows someone who stocks ANY water-based blockout, I'd sure like
>their phone #.  Any part of the country.  I really don't understand this
>distributor thing.  Why would anyone give exclusive selling rights to a
>place that won't eagerly sell the product?  Or won't sell it at all?
>
>Have money, want paint!
>
>    -John Anderson

John,

I've had the same problem. I tried to get some of the latex paint, to no
avail. I am also trying to get some of Transco's plastic tube supports. These
are similar to the QS-1 plastic supports made by Diversified Components. I
really like the QS-1s, but I've had lots of problems with them breaking after
about a year in the field. I've had numerous warranty service calls, of late.
They seem to work fine indoors, but if they're used in windows, or outdoors,
anywhere that they're exposed to UV, they crack at the split of the "Y". The
way I see it, if I'm paying .35 apiece for these things, they ought to at
least last beyond my warranty period. At any rate, Transco's version is made
of much thicker plastic. I suspect it would hold up much better in the field.
 I've been trying to order some through my regular supplier, but so far, no
luck.

It just so happens that I live in the same city (Columbia, SC) where Transco
is located. However, they won't sell direct to the customer, only through
distributors. I know that one of my wholesale customers buys Transco
products, so I'm sure I'll eventually be able to get them, although it may
mean forsaking my usual supplier (Dixie Neon Supply in Charlotte, NC -- with
whom I'm otherwise very pleased) for one of the other two suppliers in
Charlotte -- all about 100 miles away. It seems a waste to drive 100 miles to
get something they sell 3 miles from my shop.

As soon as I can manage to get these products ( and I WILL get them ), I will
either supply you with the phone number, or I will purchase them for you and
anyone else who's interested. Come to think of it, there is a company called
Tampa Wholesale Neon Supply (Tampa, Florida) that I used to purchase a few
things from. They would occasionally let me pickup my supplies directly from
Transco's warehouse, although I paid Tampa Wholesale. I don't have their
number handy, but I can find it for you, or just look in Signs of The Times
magazine...it should be listed there.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else had similar problems with QS-1
supports? I've also had recurring problems with the new Franceformer 15030
PKa2. I'd say at least half of these I've used have quit in the last year.
They seem to always arc through the tar where the GTO clamps in the screw
connection --- no way I can see to avoid it. Opinions, anyone?

Ronnie Downs
Cessna6T@aol.com