[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Re: neon tube colors

I'm trying to remember how I made dark brown for a chocalate cake neon.
I think I used EGL orchid for the glass, and then a combo of red,
blue, and yellow liquid gel from Rosco.  The gel gets all mushed when
you use a brush - awful for fake colored glass - great for chocalate
icing.

A nice close to golden brown is achieved with the older coated (drab) green
soda lime pumped neon.  The new greens are more orangy.

Kenny

>   I tried to
> >> repair a red one of these and it turned brown on the bombarder.
> >>
> >> Tom W.
>
> Youwch! THis sounds like a very impractical way to color tubes. But,
> then again, not to long ago we were makeing a neon chicken for a
> little  fried chicken joint, and they wanted brown neon. They also
> wanted black. My idea was to do the border they wanted in a blacked
> out clear tube.... but we never got the job. Might have been nice to
> have that brown, ;-)
>
> >Hi all,
> >hade the same problem with an U.S. Flag from Everbrite.
> >Only solution was to solve the paint off before repair, pump and
> >bombard as
> usual,
> >then operate the tube on higher current than usual,
> >and spray coat with translucent varnish used for incandescents.
> >Needed 5 layers to get the original color. Dipping, brushing etc.
> >didn't work.
>
> Translucent varnish used for incandecents.....I know what we are
> talking about, but I do not know of anyone ever useing it. I will
> have to talk to my friend at GE and see if he can get  some.  I
> asked him last night to look up and see what GE has in the way of
> discharge mercury  quartz bubls.
>
> Matt

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web