[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- RE: More on "Rubber Boots" w/ ? for NY electrican

	First I would like to thank John for re-opening this discussion.

>>He was quick to tell me "wet" locations,
>>but seemed less enthusiastic about "outdoor, exposed to the sun" (though
>>when I pressed him he did conceed on this too.

	Now that I finally had a few minutes, I looked up in my "library" the
information I have about Masters.
Interestingly enough, in the installation instruction / technical information
book , Masters states under the UL Recognized label;
		 "Boots comply with the electrical enclosure requirements in UL
48.  Therefore, they need 		 no other enclosure on indoor signs and
only a sign body to prevent exposure to the sun 		 and rain in
outdoor signs."

>>What's a "sign body"?  According to them, it's part of the sign that
>>does not house any electrical components.  Go figure!!!

	It would appear that when talking on the phone, what you found is the
case.  " A part of the sign that does not house any electrical components."  Yet
in the manual, the ass covering " a sign body to prevent exposure to the sun and
rain in outdoor signs.", is used.  Re-read the first "wet locations" paragraph.

 	 If you run into a problem with the product,  will "Herb, from Masters
said.... save you from a suit??!!!  Especially when it is written differently in
their manual??  Now here is a "Go Figure!!!"  Herb conceeded yet their manual
did not.

	Another  electrical statement was made; City of New York Bureau of
Electrical Control Approval # 34807.  Hey Radio City Guy !!  What exactly is
this???  Thanks in advance.

	Now I've learned that I was the first in my area to special order and use
them illegally, it seems ironic that after I introduced them, my local Tubelite
branch is going crazy with this "new product".   I know by my experience that
installed wrong ( no GTO sleeving and a blob of silicone to seal the GTO opening
) , three jobs  have been through snow, heat and even the wettest summer ever in
my area, without a problem.  This use was WRONG, and I'm not proud of it, but I
can't deny it either.  As a cog in the wheel I have to take what is thrown at me
and make it work.  Luckily, in this case, it has.  Please don't try this at home
kids.  Lastly, the preceeding  sentences are not **endorsements** just what has
wrongly  taken place.

Best Wishes,

Sean