[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Exposed GTO in channel letters

>> Tim wrote:
> >Just a quick question - I am under the impression that channel letters with
> >acrylic faces must have GTO in either sleaving or conduit to comply with UL
> >listing requirements.  Has anyone out there seen or heard differently?
> > Tim,

> When my former company ( located in NJ ) applied for their UL listing, a
> UL representative came to the shop and spent the day dissecting and testing
> the letters and raceways.  Not only was the GTO to be in sleeving or conduit,
> the sleeving and conduit (as well as all components) had to be UL listed.

> Ed Dezuzio wrote:
> >Because of the combustable nature of some acrylics I was led to
> >believe that a sign or letter bearing the sticker of UL must have Lexan
>> faces.

> This was not a requirement in that UL inspection, as all of the letters
> had standard plexiglas faces.  Maybe the acrylic has to be UL approved?
> Sean

Kenny, Morgan, Regan & Eric per your advice here's a posting and
maybe it can help out. I can't maintain the regularity I had in the
old days because I've boxed myself into a corner with work and side
assignments, but as you know I've never stopped being concerned with
the list. Ok?

(Item 1) - the above decussion. A channel letter is part of a sign
body. Neither the U/L white book or any other listing agency
addresses any extra enclosures required inside a sign body. As a
matter of fact all lighting devices that are charactized as accessible
bodies may contain connections without extra enclosures. Example - a
fluorescent troffer not only may carry it's own primary and secondary
conductors, but may also carry primary and secondary conductors for
other fixtures. These fixtures can be equated to a 4' channel letter
that may not only  carry two primary circuits, along with the
secondaries to drive the tubing, but may also travel to the required
disconnects for servicing that sign. In days not to long past, PK's
didn't create the need to address GTO slack inside of a channel, but
with the advent of  ( rubber, silicon, Polmeric ? ) flexible boots
this issue arises. *No sign, or piece there of, has to listed,
approved or even pending to be used in its construction. If the
listing agency feels upon inspection of the sign that an unlisted
paper electrode boot is acceptable it can list that sign. I don't
agree with it but U/L has now deemed flexible electrode boots can
have zero clearance. scary**. Remember, Just gather your conductors
neatly inside of anything your working on wether its a panel box or
channel letter.

As far as faces all have a paper covering that states ex. Lexan
"*Observe fire precautions similar to wood". Therefore, like John had
stated a while ago spacing is critical, and much common sense in a
letter's construction, must be considered.

George Doll

vtsign@ibm.net                                      Vermont Sign Group Ltd
Phone: (802) 879-6854                                  Fax: (802) 872-8185
* http://nbm.com/signbusiness/safe.html             "From The Ground Up" *
* http://www.signs.org/member/operator/gov_resource.html  ISA State Help *