[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Exposed GTO in channel letters

Tim wrote:

>Just a quick question - I am under the impression that channel letters with
>acrylic faces must have GTO in either sleaving or conduit to comply with UL
>listing requirements.  Has anyone out there seen or heard differently?

Tim,

     When my former company ( located in NJ ) applied for their UL listing, a
UL representative came to the shop and spent the day dissecting and testing
the letters and raceways.  Not only was the GTO to be in sleeving or conduit,
the sleeving and conduit (as well as all components) had to be UL listed.

Ed Dezuzio wrote:

>Because of the combustable nature of some acrylics I was led to
>believe that a sign or letter bearing the sticker of UL must have Lexan
faces.

      This was not a requirement in that UL inspection, as all of the letters
had standard plexiglas faces.  Maybe the acrylic has to be UL approved?  I'm
out of my league here.

Hope this helps,

Sean