[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Patented Processing System

> I can't tell you how excited I am that we may be a step closer to being
> able to truly define what is a "good" tube.
>
> I'll keep the list updated as I move forward with the next step of the
> search for "perfect" processing.
>
> Tim cent@interserv.com

Tim,

That sounds really interesting, and I support you fully in this big
endeavor.

It could have the potential to be really excellent research.  My concern
is that you'll need to monitor many hundreds (if not thousands) to draw
any serious conclusions.  Since even horrible neon can remain lit for 5
or more years, I hope you're willing to dig in the heels for the long
ride here.  It would be best if many shops from accross the country
(world) could participate.  Using different glasses (from dif.
manufacturers), different processing systems, different rare-gas
suppliers, different stopcock grease, etc. etc.  This diversity smooths
out the curve you're trying to read.

Gauges used (for such testing) must be calibrated well.  Equipment well
tweaked, detailed records kept.  Manufacturing lots of the different
batches of glass recorded, etc. Murphy's law says the one variable you
leave out will be the one the proves crutial for a quality tube.

_Great_ neon (quality wise) has been produced for many decades.  So has
crappy neon.  A great bender can have his units processed by a horrible
pumper and get great-looking neon that fails shortly.  A horrible bender
can have a great pumper that makes attrocious-looking, long-life neon.
defeat themselves.  An old-timer that knows his equipment might make
excellent neon with the crudest system.  A novice could screw up tuve
job on a gauged-out, turbo-pumped, 50k pumping station.  I've personally
witnessed all of these scenarios.

I'm not trying to sound dicouraging.  Not one bit!  I think this has the
potential for ground-breaking research.  I only hope the scientific
method is adhered to.

    -John