[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Tube Benders Association

On: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 17:48:29 -0600 : megavolt@io.com (John
Anderson) wrote:
snip
> Matt
>I agree with you 100% here.  One of the biggest hurdles in
organizing a national association would be reaching out to the
vast majority not represented here.  Ideas welcome <g>.

 >-John

I've been interested in the discussion of a trade association
(should be international) for neon fabricators, so if ideas are
welcome, let's get down to the details. I'll add my two cents in
the form of a check-list of things we need to do as well as
suggestions for further discussion:

**Form a committee to incorporate a not-for-profit corporation to
limit the liability of members and officers.

*Checklist: Articles of Incorporation, State to Incorporate in,
Registered agent, Federal EI number, Federal non-profit forms
501C, State & local business licenses.
*(I can incorporate us in Florida for about $400 plus $67 per
year thereafter - so there won't be an annual fee for the
registered agent.)

**Get a liability insurance policy to cover officers and members.

**Form a membership committee to solicit new "charter" members to
obtain operating funds.

*Checklist: Magazine ads, Membership cards/certificates, Member
Roster, contact those not on the list.

**Hire a part time (for now) administrator.

*General qualifications: knowledge of neon industry and technical
standards that affect industry, general technical and business
experience.

**Establish a business office for administrator.

*Checklist: Office supplies & equipment, Bank account.

**Write-up a mission statement (charter) for the organization.

**Write-up by-laws.

**Form a newsletter/publication committee.

**Form technical committee for liaison with standards writing
organizations, UL, etc.

**Form an education and training committee.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

SUGGESTIONS:

MEMBERSHIP & Dues
We should have 3 member classifications: Individual member,
Company member, and student member. Individuals and companies
would be listed as neon fabricators or suppliers to the neon
industry. At no time should the number of suppliers exceed the
number of fabricators on any committee including the officers.
Dues for individual members would be $60/yr, $250 for companies
and $20 for students

ADMINISTRATOR
Should be paid a reasonable professional salary and reasonable
office and travel expenses. Would oversee the day to day
operation including the office and staff and literature. Would
oversee committee activities at the direction of the officers.
Would hold election of officers, arrange for booths at trade
shows, etc. Could be part time to start. Would also be registered
agent for the corporation.

OFFICERS
Would be volunteers and not compensated  - elected annually by the
membership.

COMMITTEES
Would be volunteers.

- - - - - - - - - - -

BUDGET (startup)
A bare bones budget to start up would require at least $30,000
the first year. This would include about $20 K for the part time
administrator (assume about 2 days per week to start) with the rest for
office, insurance, legal and travel.

- - - - - - - - - - -
DISCUSSION

Can we get 400 to 500 individual members at $60 each plus about
20 corporate members (about $30,000 total income)?

Can we get about 30 unpaid volunteers for officers and
committees.

Can we double the membership next year (to about $60,000
revenue)?

How about calling it "International Association of Neon
Fabricators"?

Do we still want to proceed?

I'll be glad to keep of list of potential members and committee
volunteers - - jnovotny@gate.net or FAX 561-562-1431.

Best regards - - Jack