[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- Tube benders Assoc.

Jeff writes

this is considered "non-competitive" in our labor
market. The owners are always trying to cut costs and labor is always the
first place they look.

My dad has seen 50+ years of sign business from small shop to large quantity
producer - and a lot in between.  He says the best years were when he and one
other shop were in town.  Although they never discussed it, they absolutely
refused to bid the other's design.  When a customer walked in showing a Post
design, Dad would highlight the skills of his designer(s) and tell the customer
that Cummings could do a much better design.  As I understand it, Bill Hinton
would pitch the same line.  The result is that the customer was left choosing
between an "apple" and an "orange", not price shopping the apple.  Price became
less of any issue because the customer was left deciding whether he liked apples
or oranges better - price became secondary.  Seems like a better approach than
"fixing" prices.