[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Tube benders Assoc.

Just had a chance to catch up with my email, and wanted to respond to the
questions concerning the "NATIONAL TUBE BENDERS ASSOCIATION".  The original
concept was to try to create an environment that would help to connect its
members through a set of acceptable standards, something like a union,
although I strongly hesitate to use the word. Ideally, we thought that since
our industry is primarily made up of somall shops, with one to five benders,
that it would be nice to have a way for benders to measure their level of
aptitude in various areas of neon manufacture. An appointed board could
provide testing for interested applicants, which could give a measure of
achievement to their skill level. The testing could be done in a variety of
seperate technical aspects. (For instance: the bending test would measure a
variety of qualifications on a given pattern, such as speed, accuracy, % of
well executed bends, etc. The score results would determine the level
achieved, such as Journeyman Level 1, or Master Level 3) With these
credentials in hand, a tubebender would be able to have more credentials in
seeking employment, justifying wages, not to mention the sales tool it will
become when being compared on the open market by someone who is price
shopping a neon sign. Once a set of standards are set up and maintained, the
tests could be made available at the trade shows, on the regional and
national levels. From here, the organization could maintain a database of
tubebenders on file, for the purpose of providing information to its members
on products, technical changes, legal influences, business management
info,.........etc., etc., etc.
I gues what I am trying to say is, the possibilities are endless. The main
point here is that there industry needs to be able to create a system of
acknowledgement for the various levels of achievement. This will allow us a
measuring stick by which we can continue to grow, to educate ourselves, and
be credible in the marketplace and to the public.
Maybe an association would work better now that forums such as this list have
closed the gap somewhat. I know, at the time we had some great intentions,
but personal situations kept me from being able to devote the time necessary
to make it fly. I still think it's a great idea, but I also know that, to do
it right, would require a lot of energy. If anyone would want to take the
reins, or jump in and help, I'd be willing to get invovled again. What does
the rest of the list think?   Pat Meyer (aka Neonlady)