[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- Re:Neon Assoc.

Tom U wrote:

>>=46rom what I can recall, most of the talk about an association has been
>>focussed on those people in the above mentioned positions.  And most of
>>what's been said, I think has been great.  But, I haven't seen much
>>discussion about improving some of the conditions of what I've heard some
>>'benders working in.  But, then do we get into "union" speak?

>>So, I wonder, when speaking of an association, if this is a target group
>>that could really benefit and is there a way we could address some of these
>>issues.  Especially in areas like mercury exposure, health care and the
>>most limited benefits that could legally exist.  This group *may* benefit
>>from some unifying force.  But, how are these folks reached?  And how are
>>some of these improvements made?

	I guess I will take the bull by the horns on this one, please don't take
anything personally.  The company I worked for could care less about the benders
conditions.  As far as the work quality, "Just get it done quick."  If
everything was great and the customer was happy you heard nothing, if not...

	From here, everyone should take a look at how they first experienced neon
and how they learned.  If you worked with a conscientious 'old timer' or neon
school, maybe you were alerted to Hg hazards.  If you learned as I, and think
others did, you were happily splicing and bombing Hg blackend repairs( being
extremely happy that the splices didn't leak or the bends didn't crack, and how
impressed the boss wopuld be ).  I guess where I am going here is to the small
shops that look to "cash in" on neon.  These would be the ones that we make fun
of, and marvel how they can stay in business due to poor practices.  Am I the
only one in this boat?

	Finally, on to the large production shops.  Whether union or not, these
benders come in do their 40 or their footage then leave.   After seeing the
union scale in my area at $27/hr, I don't think I could blame them.

	Now I am not being specific here, Please,  look at these as
generalizations.  At my former company what I could do , and who or what I knew
didn't matter to the boss or the broker," just get the job done yesterday".  In
the small shops, they are looking to cash in.  The only way you can cash in is
to keep overhead and production costs down, therefore...  Large production
shops, Assembly line workers?  What benefit is a Neon Association to these
people?  To the actual employee yes, but to the "average" employer?  Who will be
receiving your flyer, the employer or the bender?  Does this sound familiar to
anyone?

	IMHO a Neon Association would benefit the people who care about 'doing it
right', and separating themselves from those who don't.  I don't think it will
ever reach everyone, but those who care and want to get ahead will probably seek
it.( We are all on Neon-L aren't we? ) Look at the number of sign shops and how
many belong to organizations or UL.  My former company was UL only, and only
because they had to be for a particular account.  I would like to think that
these occurances are few and far between.  But through many conversations and a
few experiences I have found otherwise.  Anyone else experience the same?

	On a final note, stop and think for a moment of every bad installation,
piece of glass, or half assed shop you've been in or worked for ( or had to do
repairs for ) and I think you will understand my point.  The average
person/owner doesn't care now/nor will they about an Association,' Until'  those
that do care out weigh them. I think the important factor is to offer what ever
support or information a Neon Association could realistically do. Then let the
interested parties ( both members and manufacturers, as both would benefit ) do
the rest.  With any luck, it would snowball.

Best Wishes,

Sean