[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

NEON- legal rubber boots

John and everyone else - I checked again with Herb to get a clarification.
I'm not sure if this will clarify or confuse but here goes.  U.L. and CSA are
NRTL (nationally recognized testing labs).  They each have their own
testing and standards.  UL has standards for dry and damp.  Of example -
in a shower with the water off is dry.  In the shower with the water on and you
not getting wet is damp.  In the shower with you getting wet is wet.  So, we
have a dry, a damp, and a wet.  Again, UL has no wet standards.  Hence,
if your sign calls for a UL sticker - UL says no on the boots outside unless
they are in a sign component which would consider them in a damp location.
However, IF your sign does not require a UL sticker, authority goes to the
AHJ ( or local iinspector).  They follow the NEC book, which says somewhere
that a NRTL product is to be used.  Masters Technology products are CSA
approved for WET locations.  That is exterior, in the climate, outdoors, etc.
CSA is a NRTL, recognized by OSHA, NEC, etc. and probably even the FDA,
CIA, FBI, and the EPA.  But who knows.  Again, they are the only "rubber"
(and Herb hates it when I say rubber, because they're not) approved for
outside, in the weather use.  They are currently attempting to get everyone of
the NRTL to accept the to others standards.  His pamphlets state the UL for
damp and dry locations.  Somewhere they show CSA approved for wet.

Also, and this is from memory so don't quote me - the test puts the Masters
Tech products in an oven for concentrated tests at 125C for 168 hours straight
with no cooling off.  They are frozen at -25C for 4 hours, while being crushed in
half, and then the clamp that is crushing them is taken off and the product is
checked for cracks inside and outside.  They are also subjected to ozone for
6 hours.

Herb will send whatever info anyone wants.  If a local jurisdiction refuses his
products, he WILL fight them and prove their legality.

Hope this helped the confusing issue.  Again, any questions, call Herb.
Gary Nutting
Neon Products of Phoenix