[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- single trode xfrmr

Thank you all for the hints, have to do some further experiments.

Dirk:
The Per Luce HF 6000/20 with one lead groundes doesn't work for this.
it will light up 10cm of 10mm clear red and 20-30cm of 18mm Ar/Hg with
a very dim glow, not more. Have to ask the company to get more info.

> > > Marcus, I have been using Stratman's for a couple of years and
> > > have been very happy. He has a website somewhere (linked on
> > > Kenny's site?); but you can phone him at 617-266-8821. I have also
>
> If he has a website, I don't have the info.

Wayne has NO website, have searched the whole www (by altavista.digital.com)

> > > used the Scientific Systems version and prefer Waynes. If you have
> > > a problem with getting them, post me. Morgan
> >
> > Oh yeah, I forgot about Wayne's. I don't think he pushes them
> > but I tried two of them. One of them I blew up and the other
> > I gave to Telford. Anyway, they are very powerful and too
> > much for some of my smaller things, just right for others. If you
> > use too much xformer on sigle ended pieces you get a lot of ozone.

> If you use a hv capacitor to ground on the "G" connection (if it
> exists) of most scripting xfrmrs this will work - but this is NOT endorsed or
> likely waranteed by the manufacturers.    They work on the exact
> same principle.
>
> Wayne's supply, though I haven't seen it is likely primarily for
> his plasma globes which also generally employ a flyback circuit.

When using flyback circuits, I had sometimes problems with the coil
insulation breaking down and causing immediate burnout.
These flyback transfo's are not open-circuit-proof!
Car ignition coils will give too low current, just a dim light at low freqs.
Wound some coils on ferrite rods, gave too much ozone, the whole energy
was eaten up by the conductive ozone produced in the coil. I have to try
epoxy resin embedding of the coil later on.

Marcus