[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- gas mixtures

GARY GORDON wrote:

> We are currently in the middle of our winter and are experiencing some problems with the ends of some of our argon filled tubes not illuminating. The climate in Johannesburg, South Africa is temperate with temperatures going down to 0°C very seldom in winter. Average summer maximum temperatures are around 35°C.
>
> My question relates to what is the preferred gas mixtures that you are all using. Do you use different ratio's of argon/neon depending on the application? and if you are using an argon/neon mixture, how does this effect the transformer loading as opposed to using either straight neon or argon.
>
> Looking forward to your responses.
>
> Regards
>
> Gary Gordon
> Neon Electro

Hi Gary,
I recently switched over to the voltarc flask 1051.  I believe I have
the numbers correct but that is the Argon with a little Neon mixed in.
Here in the center part of New York State, we have winters that have
been known to drop to -16F.  I have been steering my customers away from
argon/merc colors for this reason but I am not so reluctant now seeing
that another neon shop in the area uses that mix for outside work and
seems to have good success.  Also, I picked up an old loading chart and
it has three different columns.  One column is for standard Neon, the
other two are for Argon over 40F ambient and the third is below 40F
ambient temp.  On a job I just completed with about 10 feet of neon and
100 feet of green, I used the third column for kicks.  I will let you
know how it works.  You probably can figure out that the third column
uses less footage for the same size transformer compared to that of the
second column.

I hope this helps.

Howie Cohen
Just Neon