[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- gas mixtures

> >Argon is best, has a low cathode fall, low ionization energy.
>
> Marcus, visually the results are impossible to differentiate, between Ne/Hg
> and A/Hg, but I suppose there may be a difference not detectable by eye.
> Instead of theorizing, why not measure? Doubt that the difference is as great
> as you suppose, but I'm still curious.
> Jeff

The difference and reason why neon is not used is that in winter outdoor
tubes will start red....
Imagine the customers face when his nice white sign on his roof
 turned red when switched on.
It's a nice effect with HF excitation and different tube diameters.
You can see examples in Rudi Stern's books - David Swenson's dance levitation
series in example.
(Or Dave Ablon's  "flip the switch")

Marcus