[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- gas mixtures

>And while we're on the subject of gases, can anyone out there tell me why we
>don't use 100% neon gas as the carrier in a mercury tube?  thanks,  Tom

Have done this, and it works just as well as argon as far as I'm concerned,
and plus it has a beautiful, fascinating effect just when you turn it on, so
you may use it in cases where you want a special effect. Just when you start
it up, there are mostly red areas in the tube, which gradually turn to blue
in several spots which grow and spread together until they envelop the whole
tube, and the effect is astounding, just like sunrise.
Jeff Golin