[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: NEON- 1996 NEC

>>> Well, in my jobs, I always use ENT, so it doesn't make a bit of
>>>difference how long the wires are. Jeff Golin

> Reply from dirk,
> Dear jeff, your above mentioned statement is not true. Even when we
> us (or instal) non metal braided conduit the lengthe of the cable
> has an influence to the neontransformer. The longer the secundairy
> cablelength is the more we are changing the power factor of the
> transformer. The longer the cables (whatever the type is) the more
> we change the power factor to a higher level. When the power factor
> is changed to a too much high level the neontransfomer is acting
> like a ordinary voltage transformer and that is exactly the opposite
> we need for discharge tubing. Here is your cable burnout (together
> with transformer burn out) again. The length of the cables is so
> limited and linear with the open output voltage of the transformer
> especially when transfomer are installed with an open output voltage
> higher then 8 kV. Even for a red discharge 8 kV is to high, so we

Many loading charts in fact recommend including the cable length
(especially for dimming purposes) in selecting a transformer.   I would
be quick to point out that the wire's  role within the circuit is quite
different from the neon.   Dirk, does the power factor change because
the capacitance of the long wire is cancelling the magnetic feedback
to the primary?

Kenny

Kenny Greenberg --  Neon - Scenic and Environmental Art
                    Internet Site Consultant and Author
KRYPTON NEON 34-43 Vernon Blvd Long Island City, NY 11106
         Phone: 718-728-4450  Fax: 718-728-7206
http://www.neonshop.com  -  The Internet's Neon Shop
http://www.licweb.com  - The Long Island City Web