[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Red goes on

Yet another job turning red in the cold weather...still not a clue why...I
have a container with the gas I was using and I have some of the letters
which are turning red. Where can a guy have this stuff tested to see what is
going on for sure??? I just talked with Jay at Eurocom and he seemed to be
very interested in knowing what the problem might be. He is going to talk to
the physicist in Germany and see if they might be able to shed some light on
the subject.

I did some tests of my own...I filled clear glass tubes with straight neon
and put a drop of mercury in a trap on the unit and I did the same with
another tube filling it with my neon/argon mixture. I chilled the units
before putting them on a transformer and as would be expected the neon turned
red without the mercury in it. When I put the mercury in it it then turned
blue as the mercuty vaporized. The neon/argon gas however did not turn red
ever, even before I put the mercury in. So the only way I could get a unit to
turn red was using straight neon and mercury.

I thought that maybe straight neon was put in instead of neon/argon but that
would not have been the case because the units would have been red on the
burnin table when they first came off the bombarder instead of going dull
grey, so that eliminates that possiblity.

I'll keep you all posted because this is exasperating to me .

Don Stone (wallerneon@aol.com)