[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Temperature Indicator Crayons

>Forgive my ignorance..what is "temperature indicator crayons"? How
>do they work? What temps do they work at? Where does one find them?
>
>Thanks,
>Sandie

Sandie,
temperature indicator crayons are just that; crayons. The ones I have are
labeled "Thermochrom" and are made by A.W. Faber-Castell in Germany. I
purchased them from my supplier (Dixie Neon Supply -- Charlotte, NC -- 800
432-6046) for a couple of dollars each. They are labeled 320C
(degrees)/610F(degrees), which I assume is the temperature at which they
change color.

I should say that although I consider them pretty nifty, I don't use them on
a regular basis. I prefer the newspaper method...works every time. To use the
crayons, you begin the bombarding process normally. When the tube starts to
get hot, you just mark it with the crayon. When the tube hits the appropriate
temperature, the crayon mark turns from light blue to white in color. It's
just a basic temperature indicator. They're cheap, and they're good for
hundreds, if not thousands of uses.

Ronnie Downs
Cessna6T@aol.com
"Neon is not a spectator sport"