[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

solid-state questions

So here is a weird one for you.

25 mill tube 3' long filled with neon and a dusting of blue phospor-- No
electrodes.
Now I take a thin wire and spiral wrap the outside of the tube. Each side of
the wire I want to attach to a terminal of a transformer and fire her up.
Now I have done this with a small  SS transformer and it works great. A
floating spiral inside the tube.  The only problem is that after an hour or
so the tranformer blew out.  Any suggestions for a good supplier?  What
should I be looking for?  Am I pushing the limitations of these things?

Same questions for my other variations on the theme:
Similar tube, spiral wrap on one side for1' then taped to the end.  A gap of
6" and another spiral wrap taped on the other end.  Each separate wire
attached to an end of a transformer.  What will allow me to run this with out
overloading the circuit?

Thanks

Dan