[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: pricing that neon stuff

John Anderson wrote:

> >     I have been using modifications of the Neon pricing guide to come up
> >with my pricing in general. I use a cost figure of $32,50/Hour for labor and
> >1.67% on materials to double check a job to make sure I am OK on my pricing.
> >If something takes more time than I was able to get on a per foot charge, I
> >won't make the same mistake again by double checking my cost this way. I
> >would be really interested in a program that would allow for different
> >degrees of difficulty, more difficult glass, smaller more detailed work, etc.
> > Looking forward to hearing more.....
> >
> >Don Stone (wallerneon@aol.com)
>
> Here's where my pricing method miserably fails:   consider these two jobs -
> both how long they would take you and how much material you would use:
>
> 1.  "INDIA" - clear red, 12" individual block letters w/ double backs
>
> 2.  "SASER" - coated green, 12" individual block ltrs w/ PK electrodes and long
>      follow-backs
>
> I come out with about double the time and triple the materials, but
> according to my current pricing scheme, I charge the same.  This was just
> an example off the top of my head.  It is often much more extreme,
> especially on larger jobs.
>
>     -JohnReal good example John.  I was thinking of a similar case.  I hope Kenny
can pull off the impossible.  It really would be nice to be able to plug
in some variables and come up with a price.  I also mentioned about the
wholesale variable.  A shop in the business for years has set up a
wholesale price schedule as follows.
Clear red = 3.95 per foot
Powdered blue = 4.35 per foot
Minimum unit charge of = 21.00
repairs (red) = 21.00
repairs (blue) = 22.00

If you ask me, the guy is giving the glass away.  Do you all agree or is
this something close to what people are getting.

Howie Cohen
http://www.borg.com/~hcohen