[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How much should I charge this guy?

Cessna6T@aol.com wrote:

> I have an interesting situation here. I've been approached by a local
> independent installer (a drifter, more or less), who has sold a border tubing
> job to a local club. This club has been a regular (and satisfied) customer of
> mine for the last four years. The installer (let's call him Sleazo) has gone
> out and purchased his own glass (EGL accuwall bromo blue), and electrodes
> (EGL 8C) -- neither of which is the best choice for this job, although that
> has little bearing on this situation. Sleazo wants me to bend the glass for
> him, pronto. This is Monday night...he wants it up by the weekend, or by
> Wednesday, if possible.
>
> Here are my questions. Should I charge him my standard wholesale rate, minus
> materials cost? Should I refuse the job altogether, since I would rather not
> be associated with this less-than-reputable person? Should I charge extra,
> since he sold this job to a customer he knew I had been dealing with on a
> regular basis?
>
> Ronnie Downs
> Cessna6T@aol.comHello Ronnie!  This is a veru interesting situation you are in.  The way
I would handle this is this:  If you find that you are not that busy and
wouldn't mind making a few bucks then take the job.  Charge your
wholesale rate minus materials and march the job out the door.  The
thing is if you say no Mr. Sleazo will go to another bender and they
will do the job and make the money.  If you charge more than usual, the
word may get around that you overcharged Mr. Sleazball and if he is as
sleasy as you say he is then he won't be afraid of plastering your name
all over the place.  If you do good work then you won't have anything to
worry about.  Do the job, make the money and be done with it.  I realize
its a tough call but on this one I think I would go ahead.
Keep us posted and good luck
Howie Cohen
Just Neon
http://www.borg.com/~hcohen