[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Looking for Hydrogen Torch

>Boom! I said,
>No Honestly, I'm looking for a a Hydrogen torch to polish the edges of
>plexiglas.  Anybody know where I can find such a thing?  I saw one years
>ago at a plastics job shop.  I think there was a machine for getting
>Hydrogen from the air.  Any info would be helpful
>Jacob Fishman

Hi Jacob,

Look at wholesale jewelry-making suppliers.  That's where I've seen an
"Aqua Torch" that gets hydrogen/oxygen from water.

I'd like to comment on flame polishing plexiglas too.  I used to do that
extensively.  I used a small torch I made that consisted of one finger from
a 7 point crossfire.  It's a good torch for fire polishing.  A clean, flame
with minimal splash.

But flame-polishing puts TREMENDOUS strain into the work!  I've had window
signs start cracking months after they were up.  Even if cracking does not
occur, flame-polishing greatly accelerates crazing.  Acrylite & Plexiglas
both mention of this in their fabrication manuals.  Annealing of the piece
in a special hot-air oven is needed.  Just like glass, you can use a
polariscope to see this stress in clear plastic.

I'm relating this because I almost lost my sanity with flame-polished edges
cracking.  I got so upset I refused to even use plastic for nearly a year.
My solution now is to cut the plex with a circular saw & plastic blade.  I
then take Weld-on #6 cement and rub the edges with my finger to polish.
Works pretty well.

You may have known all of this - but hopefully you didn't/won't learn the
way I did!

     -John