[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: ref: the physics of a neo...

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From:	INTERNET:Bubblyhome@aol.com, INTERNET:Bubblyhome@aol.com
TO:	(unknown), INTERNET:NEON-L@NETCOM.COM
DATE:	5/3/96 9:59 AM

RE:	Re: ref: the physics of a neo...

Sender: owner-neon-l@netcom.com
From: Bubblyhome@aol.com
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 22:40:18 -0400
To: neon-l@netcom.com
Subject: Re: ref: the physics of a neo...
Sender: owner-neon-l@netcom.com

As I understand the NEC, Voltages above 600 are illegal for residences.  So
all neon cove lighting and beer signs in residences cannot be legally
permitted.  I use this code to avoid dealing with people who want to buy a
neon sign for their home since they expect it to cost them $100 or less and I
don't have time to explain the facts of life to them.  Unfortunately, when
somebody has a legitimate application for interior neon art for their
residence, I still cannot legally install ift.  Does anybody have a solution?

Maybe, maybe not, but I give it a try.
I only can tell you what we are doing here commonly in Europe, and in Holland,
so don't blaime me if you cannot use my solution.
WE are be forced by law very soon from now to install transformers in a indoor
situation with the L(eerlauf) option. Leerlauf means open circuit safety protection
in your language and as we install transformer with that inbuild safety device it's
allowed to use 4000-0-4000 volt transfomers indoors as a maximum.
I even can tell you how that simple safety device works.
Wind 4 to 5 windings of an insulated wire around the secundary coil.
Doing this you made a new extremely small transformer again with an otput of
approximately 1 volt (depends on the brand and the quality of the tansfomer you
were started with). Sometimes one need 6 or 7 windings, but that's not a big deal,
experiment with it. What is happening in the windings about the secundary, well if
the transformer is on and everything is functioning correctly there will be a tension
be induced of 1 volt in the separate transformer. This induced voltage is connected to
a Schmitt trigger connected to a 2 poles relais. If there is a tube broken, there is
no current across the secundary coil, so the 1 volt of our own made transformer around
the secundairy become to be zero volts at that moment and the relais will switch of the
primary (mains) to the sign. There are for sure a lot easy to build (even) homemade safety
devices possible, and this is only one. There is always an inbuild hysteresis to the relais
for about 100 cycles, so the device will switch of in about 2 seconds in my situation and in
about 1.6 second in your situation.
Hope that this will be a contribution for you all overthere and may inspire innovative
transformer manufacturers to experiment with this idea.
Best from dirk a. boonstra