[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: layout questions

On Fri, 1 Dec 1995, J.D. Schueler wrote:

>       -How many layers of the T stuff are recommended?

Three or four would be nice.  The T stuff is for two things. one is so
you dont burn your bench top.  I dont think this is a problem with
drywall except for the paper. the big reason is so the top wont chill the
glass.  If there is a big shop nearby they may give away some old stuff.
I know I get over run with stuff, however many of my old patterns I file

>       -Attachment method?  (absent any other thoughts I was going to use
>                            the staple gun)
Gravity is fine.

>       -Suggested pattern(s) for arranging multiple layers?
Any arrangement is cool. try to avoid bumps from overlapping.  I like my
working pattern to be as small as possible so I can turn it about as I work.

>       -Does the entire 4 x 8 top really need to be covered, i.e. will I end
>        up using all 32 sq. ft. and then some for bending, except for the
>        small space occupied by the ribbon burner flange (only thing
>        mounted on top)?
Only if you get all 8' hot at once.  It is nice but not necessary.  I
prefer my ribbon mounted on a stand.

>     A related question:  Does anyone know of mail order sources for brass
>     screen?  I've heard several suggestions about using relatively wide
>     mesh brass screen on top of paper patterns to save big Transbestos
>     bucks, but I haven't seen brass screen of *any* kind anywhere in my
>     local area.  (Having made probably 243 hardware/etc. store visits in
>     the past few weeks, I've looked around a lot!)
>
>     My thanks to all of you who have provided me with valuable info and
>     continue to keep this list going.  Hopefully I'll have more of a
>     presence as time goes on.  And oh yeah....Jacob, if you're reading
>     this, I still owe you some USPS correspondence from way back; I haven't
>     forgotten, I'm just s-l-o-w.

No problem. I can even remember why.
Jacob