[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: oxy

>Never tried oxy in the ribbon burner - been sort of scared to.  Seems like
>an awfully big chamber in there filling up with oxy and gas.

Exactly -- approach with caution. That's why I configured mine to not admit
oxy until I had a flame up and running (and, the very first time, I started
with the oxy adjusting valve very much OFF, adding a little at a time), also
why I vent the ribbon burner chamber even though the air is shut off via
solenoid valve.

And I forgot to mention -- when I first set up oxy at the Honolulu sign
company where I was working we had cheap, compressible hoses laying on the
floor such that when stepped on they would interrupt the flame momentarily
and then there'd be a subsequent BANG. (Great fun, stepping on each other's
hose lines...). The "relief valve" incorporated into this setup was the
slip-on hose connections -- they'd all pop off.

-Ted