[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re: oxygen

> > why the oxy? Hotter, faster?
>
> -I use oxy principally on my EGL S-21 cannon-head type crossfire. It helps
> on the ribbon, but not so dramatically. (Except for the howl -- THAT"S
> dramatic!)
>
> -It takes about half the time to reach a given heat, for $20 worth of oxy
> every month or two. I find it VERY tedious trying to use an oxy-free flame
> now (be forewarned: there's no going back).
>
> -For us still-plodding-along-with-leaded-glass types, the range of torch
> flame that won't blacken the glass is very large -- no finicky adjusting.
> This means one can really CRANK the torch, like with 15mm slop-'em-out
> channel letters. Zero-to-bending in about 10-12 seconds for a double-back.

I use oxy occasionally on my EGL S21N (3 tips) and my BMT-7 (2 tips).  I
have a separate needle valve/tee arangement that injects it into the
air-stream just before entering the mixer.  Got this from some book along
time ago and has worked well for me.

What I really like about oxy is the the flame is considerably hotter, but
at the same time more precise and controllable.  I can have my fingers
much closer to the flame without burning.  There is also less noise -
alot less noise.  I'm trying not to get spoiled by it.  Mabey some day
I'll find one of those oxy generators used:)  Anyone have some idea what
they go for?

Never tried oxy in the ribbon burner - been sort of scared to.  Seems like
an awfully big chamber in there filling up with oxy and gas.

  -John