[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Ovens.

>Typical scientific glass annealers (lehrs) have a bottom covered with
>vermiculite.  This has insulation value as well as some cush.

I was plying around with building an anealing oven this weekend using a old
portable gas grill. I ran into two probs:
1. The burner worked fine with propane but was not so great with
    natural gas (even if I mixed in air). Anybody know why? Pressure
    regulation? I'm about to go  with electric just so I can have more
    control.
2. I put a pan filled with vermiculite over the burner. I then put a piece
    of strained and thin glass on it. It broke even though the temp came
    up pretty slow. Iv'e seen glass bead makers just plunge their hot beads
    into a crock pot full of vermiculite but this isn't practical with neon.
    So my question is what do put the neon on (in). The oven down at school
    we have sort of a wire net that the tubes rest on. Any advice from you
    experienced kiln makers.

--- Frank Varnell
--- Senior Software Engineer
--- XLNT Designs Inc. (XDI)