[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Midpoint grounding

> Now each side of the sign only carries 7,500 volts
>and drops lower as it goes from letter to letter, and reaches 0 volts when
>it returns to the mid-point ground lug at the transformer. This is why I
>stated it cut your problems in half, because it safely dropped your voltage
>in half.

Jay,

As I understand it, there's only 7,500 volts maximum (open circuit) on a 15k
transformer to begin with. The "15K" is achieved because the transformer is
wound two-into-one. At the peak of the cycle you have one side with 7,500
volts positive and the other side with 7,500 volts negative, thus 15,000
volts between them -- but neither side has more than 7,500 volts relative to
ground. Grounding the midpoint doesn't reduce the voltage, it merely
"anchors" a mid-point, instead of leaving it floating.

-Ted Pirsig