[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

End Point Drawing

 >> Okay, all I was trying to diagram is that a transformer sits in the middle
of a long run that is broken in the middle. The two hot leads go to each of
these two starting points for these half runs.  The ground goes way out to the
ends of each.

 I think a better term would be "end-point grounding". <<

 I didn't name it. Some electrician-type did <g.>. I decoded the drawing and it
looks like mine. I used a program my brother told me about called Wincode.  It
is freeware and will do simple encode/decode. Works fine for your stuff. Now I
just have to try to send one. Maybe I will send it to myself first.

 >> Interesting, so what is the voltage from each terminal to the open point,
 and the voltage across this gap? <<

 Depends on whether the arc is going or not. If the gap is completely open it
would be maximum voltage (of course the tubes in the way would affect that
reading). Since they are not conducting unless they are lit I would suspect
that the voltage would read a lot less if it were a high impedance type meter.
I don't remember ever actually measuring that one. I'll have to try it and get
back with the actual reading. But the current is the same no matter where you
measure it in a single circuit loop. If the arc is running it would be
basically the same as if it were connected. The arc would be acting as simply
another tube (without the glass). That is why I can hold onto the lead and
open the arc (I try not to let it break the circuit or it WILL go HV on me.)

 What is even more confusing on this issue is actual operating voltages vs.
max. rated voltages. Most people don't know what those numbers on a 15K 30ma.
actually mean. 15K is the OPEN (nothing connected to the leads) circuit
voltage between the HV leads. In this state current would obviously be zero
(current can't flow through something that's not there. The 30ma. rating is
the SHORT circuit rating. Meaning if you direct shorted the leads (connect a
wire between them) you would then get a maximum of 30ma. current and the
voltage would obviously (although not for Paul Davis) be zero (because with
the wire connected it is effectively the same point). When the proper load of
tubing is put across the terminals it actually operates at around 24ma. and
about 5K at the HV (referenced to the other terminal - half that to ground).
This is why it is sometimes called a ballast. Because it is a self regulating
balancing type of transformer. It will adjust the current/voltage to fit the
load. If the load is too small it will throw the balance to the higher
current/lower voltage side since it is more like the short circuit. If there
is more load it is the opposite since it is closer to an open or high
resistance circuit. Paul thought I was saying that you can then use a 15K for
everything because of this self regulating aspect. While the transformer will
self-regulate it won't be within proper operating parameters and may overheat
or arc through the secondary if not close to the correct load for its size.
And I thought it was hard to communicate via E-mail.

 Maybe I will have to hook up my test rig and take some actual readings again
in the modes you suggested that I haven't tried. Never though of it. Gotta try
to shock myself too <BG>. Haven't done THAT in a while. It's the fall that
kills ya.

  E-mail from: Tom Biebel, 18-Dec-1995