[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

mercury injectors

I've experimented w/ a plastic bottle for injecting Hg, but heard that this
wasn't a good idea; that Hg should be handled glass to glass.  Any
comments?
I now use a 5mm stick, about 4" w/ a tapered end.  Dip the tip into the
merc., put my finger over the other, open end and pick up a bead, then
place the tapered end into the tubulation.  Is this a "conventional"
method?  Is there such a thing as a glass syringe & where would one be
found?

> one thing to look out for is _broken_ mercury units people bring into
>your shop for remaking (or um, "repair").  They often have (as mentioned
>previously) large globs of Hg in them that roll out onto your floor when
>someone holds them up in the air to show you.  The glob hits the floor and
>disperses into thousands of microscopic droplets that are hopelessly lost
>into your floor

Uh, then what?  This makes me wonder if (or how many times) this may have
happened in my shop... :-(

I know the Hg. topic might be getting old for some, but I'm finding it
helpful, yet a bit disconcerting...Is it fair to say that there is an
inevitable merc. risk w/ doing neon.  How much can we eliminate the risk
unless we do away w/ it...?

on & on

Tom